Information for Residents

Frequently Asked Questions

Information for residents

Q. How are referrals made to Elizabeth Fry Approved Premises?

A. Referrals are made by Probation Service (NPS) staff. It is usually the residents Offender Manager who makes the referral. Referrals should be made to the Central Referral Unit for women via NDelius.

Q. Are there men at Elizabeth Fry House?

A. Elizabeth Fry is an Approved Premises for women. However, there are some male members of staff.

Q. Do I have to pay rent?

A. Yes. There is a weekly maintenance charge, which covers your accommodation, utilities, breakfast, lunch and an evening meal. Residents also make a small contribution to an Activity Fund. 

Q. Can I have visitors at the Approved Premises?

A. Not unless they are official visitors such as solicitors, probation officers or social workers. This is because our priority is to make sure that Elizabeth Fry House is a safe place for all residents and we can't be sure that non-official visitors don't pose a risk to women living at the Approved Premises.

Many residents like to meet friends and family in the town centre which is only a 10-minute walk away.

Q. Is there a curfew?

A. Yes. During the week residents have free time between 1.15 pm and 10.00 pm and at weekends between 7.30 am and 10 pm. Some residents may have bail or licence conditions with different curfew times and/or sign-ins. All residents are required to be in their rooms from 11 pm until 7.00 am (7.30 am at weekends).

Q. Does Elizabeth Fry House have a lot of rules?

A. We try not to have unnecessary rules but we do need some rules so that everybody can get along with each other, remains safe and so we don’t cause problems in the neighbourhood.
Q. What help can I expect from Elizabeth Fry?

A. When you get here you will be allocated an Offender Supervisor. Your Offender Supervisor will work with you and your Offender Manager to decide what areas you need to focus on whilst you are with us, You will then agree a plan which will include your attendance at the programmes offered here or other activities. They will also help you get in touch with other agencies in the community who will be able to support you. 

You will be expected to meet with our Substance Misuse Worker if you have or have had difficulties with drugs and/or alcohol.

Our Housing and Link Worker will help you and your Offender Manager to find suitable move on accommodation.

If you move on to the Reading area you will be able to meet with our Outreach Worker once you have moved on from the Approved Premises. She can provide a range of support to help you resettle back into the community.

Q. How will I get to Elizabeth Fry House?

A. We are close to Reading Probabtion and the town centre, which has good bus and train links. The best way to get from the town centre is by taxi (approximately 8 mins drive costing £8) or the number 25 or 26 bus (approximately 10 min journey). You will need to get off at the stop after the crossroads at the top of Castle Hill and walk a little way back to Coley Avenue. Elizabeth Fry House (6 Coley Avenue) is about a third of the way down Coley Avenue on the right. Elizabeth Fry House is also roughly a 20 min walk from Reading train station.

‚ÄčIf you have any other questions about what life is like at Elizabeth Fry House please contact us on 0118 9572385.